Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Star Trek Musings in the Garden

     

                                                     The bent spade and new gloves.


        Let me tell you there is nothing like a garden to humble you. I went out last weekend to do a little weeding. I dressed up in my new pink, jaunty Crocs and my matching pink, zebra print gardening gloves, spade in hand and feeling uber-gardeny and very cute I entered the garden. About an hour later, I left the garden a sweaty pit-stained mess, panting, carrying my now bent spade and my pride back into the house. Oh yeah, and I hurt my back.
         How did I hurt my back? It was the weeds that did it. I started off slowly, pulling the small ones. Feeling confident, I began to tackle those deep rooted dandelions. You know the ones with the never ending roots. You keep digging and digging and never really find the end of them. Well I kept digging and pulling and they were starting to wear me down. I almost called it a day until an image of The Borg came to my mind. Who are The Borg? Are you serious? They are my favorite cybernetic collective from the best, yes I said it, Star Trek series ever.....Voyager.  And also Star trek next generation. Now The Borg are inspirational in many ways, but what really struck me in the garden was their unbelievable ability to never give up. Even when Captain Janeway had their backs were up against the wall, their numbers dwindling did The Borg ever give up. Noooo! They kept assimilating. Well I drew strength from their positive attitude. I told those weeds," Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated." And then I hurt my back.



                                                    The Borg

2 comments:

  1. You must be the very first gardener to use a Star Trek metaphor. Well done, Jennifer. Live long and may your plants prosper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol thanks so much and can I steal that line?!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Welcome!