Friday, April 20, 2012

The Merry Mishaps of a Gardening Newbie

        Growing up on one of the busiest streets in a city I have always longed for the exact opposite. Instead of waking up to ambulance sirens and gas fumes, I wanted roosters and rolling green pastures. I would fantasize  about milking cows, riding horses and picking apples. My childhood dreams extending into my university days, reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles  I found myself envying her life as a milk maid.  I swore when I finished school I would buy a huge farm and have fresh eggs every morning, eat my lunch straight out of the garden and sit on my porch in the cool evenings watching the fire flies after a hard days work with my handsome (often shirtless) field hand Antonio.(what? it gets hot!) But I digress. I am now finished my school, married( not to Antonio) with a son and guess where I live...on a busy street in a city.
       So here I am with a small backyard and my eternal, nagging, desire for farm life. Although I had dabbled in gardening before, five days ago I came across a magazine that caught my attention. Urban Gardening it said, with the big ripe tomatoes taunting me on the cover. I quickly bought it. After reading it cover to cover I was inspired but also intimidated by all the sowing instructions, hardening off, making your own organic fertilizer (seriously?), bug fighting and what not. Can't you just put the seed in a pot and give it water and then put it in the garden? I decided to find out. I also decided to blog about it so that next year I can hopefully do it better as I am sure I will make many mistakes.    
         So here is what I have done so far. I have purchased seeds that will grow in my area. What growing area am I in? I have no clue. I live in Nova Scotia.  I know there are such things as growing areas. I just don't know what mine is. Basically I figured if the seed store is selling the seeds, chances are they will grow here. Smart huh? So here is what seeds I have bought : White Russian Kale (no idea what this is) Kale, crazy red and white ringed beets (I thought they were pretty), rainbow swiss chard ( again very pretty) , basil, cilantro (yum) buttercrunch lettuce (again never heard of it) the proud romaine lettuce (I love Caesar salad) arugula, watercress and beans. I think I might of got a little too excited buying seeds as my garden is tiny and I am not sure how big these grow. I also bought an indoor seed starting container that has a plastic dome.  I planted the seeds 3 days ago. When I say I planted the seeds, I mean I put all of the seeds in the packet into one or two compartments. I thought some might not come up. Like when they plant extra embryos inside a women in case some don't take. I should have learned from Octomom. This was major mistake number 1. They have already sprouted 100's of plants. It is a little out of control and I am not sure what to do know as it is still too cold to put them outdoors. But I am just going to think on it until it is a lot out of control, which I am guessing might be in about 5 days time.  Thanks for reading! Please feel free to give me advice!! And I will see you in about five days time!
                                      
                                                        Here is my seed starting kit. Kind of lame.

                                                 Here are the 100's of seedlings after 3 days!
                                                     Here is my tiny garden plot. Needs weeding.


10 comments:

  1. Looks great! Can't wait to see how these things grow. I went to a 3 hour gardening workshop in NZ this year and have been totally inspired to garden. I'll live vicariously through you- both your successes and failures, and start gardening at some point in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Drea! You can come over and plant something if you like! We can weed and have martinis.

      Delete
  2. I tought my grdening days were over with this tiny garden I've inherited. But you're sure making my consciousness think twice about not picking up a hoe! Love this blogging thing you've got going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a hoe's best friend Judy and my gardening muse. I still see your Kale every morning.

      Delete
  3. So awesome! Excited to watch your garden grow. Urban Gardening is a great magazine- I'm sure you'll find great tips in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your witty style.....in writing and gardening. Keep it up! Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me smile...great sharing of your garden experience. Hope the greens are doing well. Did you plant any tomatoes? Tks for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! I am really enjoying your blog as well! I tried tomatoes last year and I think I harvested 2 lol, so I didn't plant any this year. Looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are Welcome!